Eyetech Opticians Ltd Privacy Statement
What we collect when you call us to make an appointment
We may collect the following information:
- Name and job title
- Contact information including email address
- Eye, social and medical histories such as medical conditions
- Results of eye examinations and eye health which may include electronic scans and clinical photographs
- Correspondence with other healthcare professionals
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- Other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- to process treatments costs and orders submitted by you
- to provide care for you under the NHS and allow administration of any NHS requirement
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into by you and us
- verify your identity
- seek your views or comments on the services we provide
- notify you of changes to our services
- improve our services or marketing purpose
- send you communications which you have requested and that may be of interest to you or pertinent to your health
Who has access to your information
We are committed to protecting the personal data of our members and customers. Any details you give us will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Eyetech Opticians Ltd is the sole owner of the information collected. To provide you with the appropriate care we may need to share personal data with:
- another optician or health care professional
- your doctor or general practitioner
- a laboratory preparing product for you
- NHS payment authorities
- the Inland Revenue
- a third party such as a private eyecare scheme if you are a member
Rarely we are required pass on information by law, for example, by a court order or for the purposes of prevention of fraud or other crime. Where you have given us permission we may contact you about other services and products or pass your details to similar organisations.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect. Non-sensitive details (your email address etc) may be transmitted normally over the Internet, and this can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, Eyetech Opticians Ltd cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, for example by email, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your information, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems. If we have given (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site.
Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences. We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system. Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website..
Links to other websites from our website
We do not pass on any personal information about our visitors to any other site. In addition, if you linked to this website from a third party site, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners and operators of that third party website and recommend that you check the policy of that third party website and contact the owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions.
Controlling your personal information
We retain patient records for a minimum of 6 years. When no longer required records are incinerated or shredded.
Limited personal information is stored on a secure password-protected computer system in our practices and in a manual filing system to which only authorised practice staff have access. Back-ups of computer data are made regularly in line with the DPA.
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- if ever you are asked to fill in a form on our website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes.
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at email@example.com.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to The Data Manager, c/o 6 The Island, Midsomer Norton, Radstock, BA3 2HQ or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond within 40 days of receipt of the request. If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
If you have a query or would like more information, please contact us directly on our practices:
For Midsomer Norton clients: 01761 414136
For Street clients: 01458 442178
For Frome clients: 01373 462573